Monday 10 March 2014

Eating out as a high carb low fat vegan...indian restaurant

Since transitioning to a hclf vegan lifestyle I have found eating out a stressful experience because you have little if any control over the ingredients used and cooking methods. However, my family and friends love to eat out so I had to teach myself how to accommodate to this whilst ensuring I am happy and keep to the lifestyle that makes me thrive.

In the beginning, I would often succumb to social pressure or fear of being a 'nusicance' to the staff in the restaurant, and would settle for second best rather than making special requirements to aid my happiness and enjoyment of the evening. Many restaurants are quite accommodating anyway regarding their food selections, because veganism is becoming an increasingly popular movement that they must satisfy. However, many menus are limited to the American 'SAD' diet, and can make life very difficult when trying to enjoy social time with loved ones. But not anymore!

Here is a recent specific example of how I managed in an indian restaurant this weekened:

Curry has always been one of my favourite foods, however since my body has adapted it can't cope with the high amount of oil and variety of flavours, and leaves me sluggish with uncomfortable bloating so I had to be more aware of what I am consuming. That does not mean im going to deprive myself however! I will satisfy my food cravings and the wonderful flavours of the cuisine but in a way I can remain vegan and not feel uncomfortable.

REMEMBER! No meal is a cheat, don't deprive yourself of a food just because you think it is unhealthy, this habit will not only cause misery but could develop into a disorder which could be dangerous. So if you follow a similar lifestyle then just aim to keep it high carb, plant based and low fat but if you eat more fat than usual don't stress because one day will not destroy your life it is minor in the large scheme of things. Going out should be an enjoyable experience not a stressful one, so relax and enjoy yourself! 

Here is my order:

Instead of poppadoms (often fried and I never had a taste for their bland flavour) I ordered a plate or raw cucumber and had it with a coriander onion salad and lots of spicy lime pickle.
For my starter I had garlic mushrooms and coriander with a side salad.
My magnificent main course. Two roasted peppers filled with curried vegetables and potatoes, a side salad, and steamed lemon rice.

All of the above I specified to be cooked in no oil or ghee to keep my fat ratios low but also because I dislike oily food. I may have eaten more than others but I remained high carb and vegan which was my perogative, as well as having a wonderful time with my friend.

Top tips for staying high carb low fat when eating out:
  • Check the menu online beforehand and get an idea of possible meal options
  • Phone the restaurant beforehand to see if they can accommodate your needs e.g. gluten free, oil free, steamed etc.
  • Stay carbed up! Most restaurants have potatoes, rice and pasta so if there isn't a specific meal then order one of these with some vegetables and you are good to go!
  • Don't be afraid to ask, waitors and chefs are always happy to help, they just want you to enjoy your restaurant experience
  • Avoid fried and salty foods these play havoc on the digestion
  • Be kind to yourself, one 'none ideal' meal won't hurt
Let me know about your eating out experiences, what is your favourite hclf meal?



No comments:

Post a Comment