Tuesday 18 March 2014

My first vegan fruit luck!



I had heard from fellow vegans on instagram about these vegan 'fruit luck' sessions, but I was never fortunate enough to discover one near to where I live, so I felt very much isolated in my lifestyle because there aren't any vegans in my area, let alone someone who is knowledgeable of 801010 or raw veganism. However, thanks to a wonderful group on Facebook, I was able to connect with many fellow 'fruities' as I call them, in the UK, and not only discover where there were great deals but also of any vegan meet ups.

I found out and attended this meet up in Stoke-On-Trent by chance, and I am so thankful that I did beccause it was a lifechanging experience that nourished my soul in so many ways. Well where do I begin? The fun starts at the train station where I was meeting fellow fruities to do a 'shared lift' to the location, but how do I recognise them you ask? From a man jumping around with a banana in the air...brilliant! Just an everyday occurence in my random life. 

Then the location itself, once everyone arrived the room was alive with an abundance of delcious fruits and raw vegan creations as well as the joyous atmoshpere and enthusiasm everyone radiated. I have never felt so at peace and at one with the people and my surroundings. We had a famous 'banana-berry smoothie', grapes, oranges, apples, spotty bananas (ofcourse), figs, strawberries, kiwi, pineapple, mango, dates; then exotic fruit such as tamarind, zapote, papaya, mangosteen, rambutan, cherimoya (my new favourite thing) and the king of fruits....DURIAN! We also had my famous raw pumpkin pie, and two delicious salads with divine flavour combinations that tickled your tastebuds. So, as you can see I had a definite food coma afterwards, but it was most definitely worth it. Regardless of this array of colourful and nourishing fruit, the realy joy came from the conversations I had. Being quite isolated in my area it was so exciting and enjoyable to have people who shared my interests, for the first time I could talk for hours about fruit! From humorous fruit experiences, to the typical vegan criticisms 'where do you get your protein', to hints and tips on this lifestyle.

                                           

           


One of the things that I found most inspiring was how we were all on different stages in our journey, some were mature vegans very well educated in the area, others strictly raw, others rawtill4, others new to the system, and others curious and willing to give it a go. Yet despite our differences we all bonded like atoms in a solid structure and encouraged each other to keep going!

BUT...the absolute highlight had to be the skype session with the one and only DR DOUG GRAHAM!!!!!

If you aren't aware, he is a celebrity in the raw vegan food movement and is famous for his life changing book '801010'. If you haven't read this book I highly recommend that you do, it is my bible and personal library for information if I am ever unsure of anything. I am not fully 801010 yet, still occasionally eating cooked food, vegan treats like chai latte and chocolate etc as well as herbs and spices, but I am still in the transitioning stage and do the best for my circumstances and environment, and at the minute I am happy. Anyway, only 5 minutes into the skype call I already witnessed a kind, selfless, comedic individual who simply desires ultimate health and happiness for the world and everyone it. I won't force my opinion on you, but if you ever get the opportunity to speak/see this man it will be worthwhile! He has left a permanent imprint upon my life! Not only did he give us an insightful talk with some brilliant vegan jokes, but he also answered all of our questions clearing up our uncertainties and motivating us to pursue this lifestyle and realise that we are not alone. One of the most prominent things he said was that 'we are the future', and that is so true! It is us, each as an individual we have the capability to change the world no mater how small, and if that means I can save one animal, keep a local grocer's business going, or reduce pollution in the world then my life is definitely fulfilled. 

Peace, love and smiles to everyone out there pursuing their own journies to happiness and health. Remember you are not alone, seek love and light and you will thrive in its company! Live the life you want to lead and just let it all go, every day is a gift and every meeting creates a lifetime friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment