Sunday 16 March 2014

Raw vegan 'mac n cheese'



I was never a fan of macoroni and cheese when I did eat dairy because to be honest I didn't like cheese :D However pasta has always been a real passion of mine and I wondered if I could improve this American heart attack meal and make it into something I would enjoy. BOOM! I made this! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and you can change the quantities according to how much you can eat ( I like to carb up baby.)

Ingredients

'Pasta
  • 6 large zucchini/courgette peeled or spiralised into noodles (I don't have a spiraliser but I use a vegetable peeler and manage fine)
If you want the macaroni consistency then shred the above instead

'Sauce'
  • 2 large corn on the cobs (about 4 cups of frozen)
  • 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes (can use fresh but provides a different consistency)
  • 1/2-1 large red bell pepper 
  • 3 stalks celery
  • the remainder of the zucchini/courgette after making into pasta
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 hot chilli
Additions
  • Spinach is my favourite! I usually use the whole bag (around 200g) because I love it so much!
  • Broccoli can be a nice accompaniment but if I use this I make this dish beforehand and allow the broccoli to soak because I can't digest it that well raw
Instructions
  1. I like to peel the courgette/zucchini into a large bowl first, because then I can dip some of it into the sauce or munch on it as I go along :) <<<HEALTHYGIRLPROBLEMS
  2. In a seperate bowl add the 'sauce' ingredients: corn off the cob, sun dried tomatoes, pepper, celery, and zucchini/courgette all chopped, the garlic clove grated and the hot chilli finely diced.
  3. Blend with a hand blender like me, but if you have a fancy blender like a vitamix then you are a lucky vegan!
  4. Sample the sauce! This is the MOST IMPORTANT part of the whole preparation
  5. Add any additions to the 'pasta' (spinach is the best!) and pour the sauce over, mixing thoroughly with your hands so that everything is nicely coated (you can use a spoon but then you don't get to lick your fingers and where is the fun in that?)
  6. Et voila! You can eat as it is, or scoop into lettuce to make pasta boats.
Let me know if you make this recipe and tag me on instagram @smiletohealth I would love to see your version!




No comments:

Post a Comment