Monday 6 January 2014

Low fat raw vegan lasagna


Lasagna has always been one of my favourite meals however it was always so high in fat and lacked benefit for your body even if it was vegetarian! Inspired by many raw foodies I have experimented and created this raw creation for all you raw vegans out there who want to keep fats low and flavours high!

Because I like to make things pretty <3

Ingredients

'Pasta' 
  • 2 large zucchinis (courgettes) 
'Green layer'
  • this can be whatever greens you have but i personally used spinach as it is my favourite
'Marinara'
  • 6 large sun dried tomatoes
  • 3 large fresh tomatoes
  • 5-8 leaves of fresh basil
  • 2 fresh chillies
  • (optional) tbsp tomato paste
Ingredients for 'marinara' are blended.

'Cheese'
  • 1 cauliflower
  • 2 heaped tbsp nutritional yeast
  • juice 1/2 lemon
  • 2-3tsp cumin
  • 2 spring onions
Ingredients for 'cheese' are pulsed in a food processor gradually adding water until desired creamy consistency is achieved.

Instructions
  1. Firstly, thinly slice your zucchini ideally with a mandolin but I didn't have one so just used a knife and sliced as thinly as I could into 'pasta like' sheets, and create your first layer which acts as a base for the lasagna. 
  2. Next add a layer of fresh greens (in my case spinach) on top of the zucchini
  3. Then add your marinara sauce to create a delicious spicy kick in the middle that oozes out of the lasagna when you cut.
  4. Add another layer of zucchini 
  5. Top with your 'cheese' and sprinkle with spring onion and cumin seeds and place a few fresh basil leaves for decoration.
You can create more layers i.e. add another marinara with some added fresh tomatoes slice, or even another green layer just get creative and experiment <3



Voila! I ate the whole lasagna but sliced it in half and served with sliced tomatoes to look more presentable. It's that simple and oh so delicious! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Please comment below on your thoughts and tag me on instagram @smiletohealth if you decide to give it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment